Friday, July 30, 2010

This came from my KISS blog for July

I just want to say thank you to those ladies that have read these crazy long post of mine and left wonderful tips and comments. I started this blog as sort of an online journal because I couldn't properly track my progress, products, techniques, and overall journey. That is why you see the same format month to month. I found that monthly regimens help me listen to my hair's needs because I was not so responsive my first year. So, thanks for critiquing my hair care diary. Keep 'em coming!

Setback(s) & Problems:

June 2010: I'm still stretching, so that's a problem within itself. But, my overall breakage, especially at my line of demarcation, has slowed tremendously. I am about 22 weeks post and I am trying to keep things soft and strong like I am supposed to. Still recovering from January's braid/matting issue which won't be fully resolved until I get a 1 inch trim with my relaxer in August.

Solution to June's problem: oil pre-poos, C-W-C method, Mane 'n Tale detangler,
TRESemme vitamin e conditioner mixed with sweet almond oil (sao) as a co-wash, Aphogee green tea, Ion Repair solutions, LOADS of PATIENCE, and my new friend: CHI Keratin Mist.

Current hair status:
A little past SL/CBL in the back and CBL and NL on
the sides, moderate/light breakage, with some under-processed sections,
soft but ends are still not as healthy as I would like. I am exactly 22 weeks and 1 day post relaxer. My goal is to get my stretching regimen down while my hair is not very long, and so far...it's working!


Current solutions to try: Continue to listen to my hair, day-to-day, week-to-week- and month-to-month. Summer school has forced me to stretch 8 more weeks than I intended. So I am going with the flow and learn along the way.
I will list below my techniques followed by products because while products are good, techniques make the outcome of using products great.

A. Using a lighter touch when combing, detangling, and braiding/setting. I know it sounds redundant, but I am naturally heavy-handed and I have to keep reminding myself. I only use my shower comb when detangling.
B. Detangling: I like detangling in the shower with my hands first then the comb next, in four sections with TRESemme Vit e (only). I have not found any other conditioner that gives me the kind of slip I can trust. This month I am testing Dove daily moisture as an alternative, but TRESemme Vitamin E is my staple. Detangling outside of the shower requires Mane n Tale Detangler and a moisturizing liquid leave-in. Right now, my favorite is Aphogee's leave-in spray.
C. The weekly protein treatments with the Aphogee system that helped me combat my breakage are now going to be monthly. The Aphogee shampoo, green-tea, and 2-minute will be replaced with Ion Repair Solutions (from Sally's) and CHI keratin mist. I like to clarify before using protein and follow up with a moisture d/c.
D. Styling: Buns all month did not work in June. Instead I ended up wearing my hair in braids and putting on a head-wrap and hat. I will wear the head-wrap (or wig) until the end of July because it's so easy.
E. Moisturizing: I totally fell off the boat with the nightly moisturizing bit. But, I did seal my ends with castor oil, doo gro oil, or sweet almond oil and extra conditioner.
F. Shampooing: I learned I really must pre-poo every time! Castor oil on my scalp every time (for the castor oil challenge); evoo, coconut, and/or sao overnight before wash day; and a moisturizing conditioner on the ends for the C-W-C method. For June I used HE HH or hydralicious or TRESemme (Note to self: I have been having so much fun trying different cheap moisture conditoners. HE conditioners work well 1-10 weeks post while lighter cons like TRESemme vitamin e and Dove daily moisture work well 10+ weeks post for my pre-poos. When I run out of hydralicious, I will try LTR).
G. Luke warm and cool water rinses worked well and I will continue to do this in July. I also did one ACV (1 part acv to 7 parts water) rinse that month which my hair loved! So I will do one this month. I also want to fit in black tea once a week before I d/c so that it can slow up some of this shedding.
H. I didn't have time to even look at my hair during the week so absolutely no combing during week was easy to do. With the braids and head-wrap, it is very easy to not manipulate my hair. But, it is also easy to neglect it as well, so I will co-wash my braids daily in the shower and use that time to m/s until wash day.

Products to try :
- Nexxus Therapee and Humectress (alone or mixed into my Lustrasilk with evoo and sweet almond oil (sao)) for wash days - Dove Daily Moisture as a pre-poo/co-wash (testing this, it may replace my HE line because they are really thick which works right after a relaxer, but not at 10+ weeks post) - Nexxus Heat Protexx - Schwarzkopf zero frizz corrective serum extra strength serum w/UV protection (it was a buck at Publix and has panthenol, vitamin e, ceramide 2, and hydrolyzed wheat protein in it) -

Products to purchase
- satin rollers (for my ends) - parachute unrefined coconut oil - HE LTR when hydralicious and Dove Daily moisture are used up - Lustrasilk's shea butter cholesterol (the new growth tamer) - TRESemme Vitamin E in the largest bottle possible - a cute, short, full wig (maybe) - bone comb (maybe) - 100% silk shirt (from the thrift store to turn in to scarfs) -

New Staples added to my reggie: Hair One olive oil for dry
hair (for cleansing hair after 10+ weeks post) and Lustrasilk Shea
butter cholesterol (for prepoos 10+ weeks post), CHI keratin mist (for a protein boost, especially at line of demarcation).

Products to modify or ditch:
modify plastic hair combs and rollers with a
file and clear nail polish. Ditch: V05 clarifying shampoo (I really do not need clarifying shampoos. If I want to clarify, all I need to do is lather twice with what I have), Care free curl gold, and Profective Anti-breakage strengthening mega moisturizer.

This month's challenges:
  1. No Trims (personal): April 1, 2010 til April 1, 2011 (only S&Ds)
  2. Bun (Head-wrap/wig) Challenge (KISS): March 21 til December 21, 2010
  3. Healthy Ends/Protective Styles Challenge (Hairlista): January 2010...
  4. KISS Ultimate Challenge: for life and will continuously improve! ^_^
Reggie of the month:
Workout days (5x's a week):
  • Put hair in bun coated with Tresemme (or Mane n Tale), evoo, and sweet almond oil (sao) and baggy hair while working out. Alternate protein and moisture.
  • Co-wash with Tresemme moisture rich/sao (every time) and do a cool water rinse.
  • M/s in four sections with watered down V05 and doo grow oil
  • Air dry in four twists or braid with castor oil and silk roller at end (be sure to add extra oil and conditioner to ends).
  • Wear head wrap, or braid/twist-out BUNS all week with ends moisturized and tucked away.
  • Nightly: Mane n Tale detangler on n/g, m/s with watered down v05, doo grow or evoo and seal ends and edges with castor oil and twist/braid.
Weekly on Sunday:
  • Make black tea and let steep overnight (Saturday), then put into a bottle with a nozzle on Sunday
  • Pre poo scalp with castor oil and ends with any oil (over Saturday night)
  • Coat ends with a little Dove Daily moisture for C-W-C
  • Shampoo with Nexxus Therapee
  • Rinse with black tea
  • D/C with Nexxus Humectress (15 - 30 minutes w/heat)
  • CHI keratin mist (concentrating on demarcation line)
  • LTR leave-in (a small amount)
  • Seal with doo grow (castor oil on edges and ends) and twist in sections
  • Braid or twist to air-dry
Last Thursday of the Month:
  • D/C on dry hair with coconut oil for 30 minutes then rinse with water
  • C-W-C method with Dove Daily moisture on ends
  • Shampoo with Aphogee for damaged hair 1-2 times (to clarify)
  • Condition with Aphogee 2-min no heat 15 minutes with
    cap
  • D/C with NEXXUS/CHOLESTEROL mix 15 minutes under dryer
  • Rinse with ACV water and blot dry with t-shirt
  • Add aphogee leave in, and CHI keratin mist (especially to line of demarcation)
  • Seal ends with castor oil and add zero frizz corrective serum
  • Twist or braid and air-dry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back again!

 Well, well, well, if it isn't me. Relaxed...again. It has been a journey, and it just keeps going. Almost to BSL and back teaching in t...